Friday, November 25, 2011

Blog#12 The Mystery of Rosebud

Before I saw Citizen Kane in my Cinema class, I heard the word "Rosebud" when I was younger from a cartoon or two. I never thought that word would mean something in a movie called Citizen Kane from 1941. Once I saw this movie I felt sad for the main character played by the late Orson Welles. You can feel the sadness by his eyes and body movement and I thought of a Bruce Wayne type in the character as well. He also directed, produced, and wrote the screenplay with Herman J. Mankiewicz for this film. That's a lot of power for a man that worked for the first time with RKO Pictures and this film is also know as the "greatest American film of all time". The other movie that is similar to this one is The Social Network (2010) ( I have not seen that The Social Network, I heard from a few people who have seen both films.)
The two scenes that really got my eyes and got me thinking in the first scene were his parents sold him( or was forced). The second scene when he was talking to his first wife once they were newlyweds. When the main character Charles Foster Kane (Orson Welles) went to live with Thatcher, he was given a sled( I thought nothing of it at first when I saw it but that sled was a clue for the end).
In the second scene I well talk about is when they are having breakfast as newlywed. They are seating close to each other with so much in love in their eyes. Then the camera zooms in to just see their faces and going to his wife then to him when they were talking back and forth within each other for a minute or two. Until they end their discussion the camera zooms out you notice the two characters are now apart showing the years they were growing apart from their love.


Like I said before I feel sad for this main character and I even hear even this film is close enough in how Orson Welles's real life came out to be. Now I would say what the sled mean in the film but it's not fair. If you haven't seen this great movie. Let's just say if you loved one period in your life what would it be in your childhood or as an adult?


The semester is coming to an end sadly, it was a fun ride to start a blog even if I had no idea what it was at first and I'm still learning. I still want to continue my blog but in making background and other things like I said in my last blog. On Fridays I will give weekly updates, I'll be remodeling my blog to have it ready for the first week of January to start the new year right. Good luck in your finals and thank you so much for the comments. Remember stay young^.^.




4 comments:

  1. I fortunately got to see this movie "Citizen Kane" when I took a cinema class last semester. I thought it was a great movie; had me hooked till the end. I just wish they would make movies like this now. Back then, the movies were great, unlike some of the movies nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had never see this movie, but i want to see it. I hope it would surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard only good things about this movie. It definitely has the title of a 'classic' and a 'genuine film' from what I read. There seems to be a gap though, that for the time it is amazing, but if the generation now watches, it won't have the same effect. Which is unfortunate because if it's such a great movie, it should hold up as such.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is interesting that people compare this film to The Social Network! I hadn't thought about that.

    ReplyDelete